Welcome to The Joy
Diet, a menu of ten behaviors you can add to your way of living and
thinking to enhance every day’s journey through the unpredictable terrain of
your existence. You can add these behaviors gradually and watch your life
become steadily more vivid and satisfying. Or you can go on a “crash Joy Diet”
to help you navigate life’s emergencies.
The ten menu items are:
• Nothing: Do nothing for fifteen minutes a day. Stop
mindlessly chasing goals and figure out which goals are worth going after.
• Truth: Create a moment of truth to help you unmask what
you’re hiding—from others and from yourself.
• Desire: Identify, articulate, and explore at least one of
your heart’s desires—and learn how to let yourself want what you want.
• Creativity: Learn six new ways to develop at least one new
idea to help you obtain your heart’s desire.
• Risk: Take one baby step toward reaching your goal. The
only rule is it has to scare the pants off you.
• Treats: Give yourself a treat for every risk you take and
two treats just because you’re you. No exceptions. No excuses.
• Play: Take a moment to remember your real life’s work and
differentiate it from the games you play to achieve it. Then play
• Laughter: Laugh at least thirty times a day. Props
• Connection: Use your Joy Diet skills to interact with
someone who matters to you.
• Feasting: Enjoy at least three square feasts a day, with
or without food.
No matter what your long-term goals are, The Joy Diet, written with Martha Beck’s
inimitable blend of wisdom, practical guidance, and humor, will help you
achieve the immediate gift of joyful living in the here and now. Begin your
journey today. Download and start listening now!