For a complete understanding of Nate Silver's Signal and the Noise, we strongly encourage you to purchase the original book titled The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail-But Some Don't by Penguin Publishing.
Big data has arrived! Whether you're using that data to make a billion-dollar decision to merge two companies or to choose a team to win the World Series, how do you distinguish the signal (the truth) from the noise (our all-too-human impulse to make choices based on personal bias)?
In his groundbreaking work The Signal and the Noise, Nate Silver brings the complexities of statistics down to earth by using real-life examples of how we all make predictions and why those predictions are often wrong.
The Signal and the Noise in 30 Minutes is your expert guide to Nate Silver's main thesis that our decision making is filtered through our personal assumptions and beliefs as opposed to the truth of the data at hand. This concise companion details:
- Nate Silver's journey from forecasting Major League Baseball players' performance to predicting the outcome of U.S. presidential elections
- Both praise for and critical reactions to his ideas from such noted sources as the New York Review of Books and the Wall Street Journal
- Key concepts, including analyzing prediction failures, practicing Bayesian thinking, and expanding self-awareness
- Key terms, such as Bayes's theorem, with easy-to-understand definitions and examples
- Recommended readings and a bibliography listing additional resources analyzing Silver's work and the phenomenon of big data
The Signal and the Noise in 30 Minutes is a timely guide to a topic that affects all our lives. From choosing stocks, to predicting wars, to making personal changes in light of climate change, The Signal and the Noise challenges both nations and individuals to make smarter choices. ... Download and start listening now!