Here are twelve magnificent stories in which John Cheever celebrates—with unequaled grace and tenderness—the deepest feelings we have.
As Cheever writes in his preface, “These stories seem at times to be stories of a long-lost world when the city of New York was still filled with a river light, when you heard the Benny Goodman quartets from a radio in the corner stationery store, and when almost everybody wore a hat.”
Download and start listening now!
Stories in this collection include:
– The Enormous Radio read by Meryl Streep
– The Five-Forty-Eight read by Edward Herrmann
– O City of Broken Dreams read by Blythe Danner
– Christmas is a Sad Season for the Poor read by George Plimpton
– The Season of Divorce read by Edward Herrmann
– The Brigadier and the Golf Widow read by Peter Gallagher
– The Sorrows of Gin read by Meryl Streep
– O Youth and Beauty! read by Peter Gallagher
– The Chaste Clarissa read by Blythe Danner
– The Jewels of the Cabots read by George Plimpton
– The Death of Justina read by John Cheever
– The Swimmer read by John Cheever