As the sun lengthens its days to summer, so a sport begins to dominate the thoughts and actions of many people. This game, which so encapsulated the village greens and evening song of Middle England, has now spread across the world.
From the marathon of a 5-day test to the razzle-dazzle excitement of 20 Twenty, it captures many things: the comforting sound of willow on leather, the slow raised hand of an umpire, the arcane rules and frequent breaks for tea and other necessities still conjure up the image of a bygone world, even though its own is now one of global TV, night matches, and Hawk Eye cameras.
In this volume, poets throughout the ages share the agony, the ecstasy, and the pleasure of being part of something very different, very special. These poems are read for you by Tim Graham, Richard Mitchley and Ghizela Rowe.
Our poems are:
- Cricket at Harrow - Lord Byron
- Dedicated to the Famous Notts and Surrey Elevens - Albert Craig
- Dad on the Test - C J Dennis
- Cricket - J S Fletcher
- Extract from 'A Shopshire Lad' - A E Houseman
- Sonnet - William Wordsworth
- Balladeof Cricket - A Lang
- Choosing An All England XI In 1896 - Anonymous
- The Old Stumper Recites a Piece of His Own Composing - J S Fletcher
- Around the Level Dale - William Perfect
- Beirut Wedding Poem - Tim Graham
- Lines on a Cricket Match - G K Chesterton
- At Lords - F Thompson
- Cricket - Herbert E Clarke
- Mantra of the Beast - Tim Graham
- A Sixer - G F Wilson
- and many more.... Download and start listening now!