At a moment of crisis and pessimism for American
conservatives, David Frum offers fresh ideas—and fresh hope.
Not in a generation has conservatism been in as much trouble
as it is at the end of the Bush years. A majority of Americans say the country
is “on the wrong track.” Voters prefer Democrats over Republicans on almost
every issue, including taxes. The married, the middle-class, the native-born
are dwindling as a share of the population, while Democratic blocs are rising.
A generation of young people has turned its back on the Republican Party.
Too many conservatives and Republicans have shut their eyes
to negative trends. David Frum offers answers.
Frum says that the ideas that won elections for
conservatives in the 1980s have done their job. Republicans can no longer win
elections on taxes, guns, and promises to restore traditional values. It’s time
now for a new approach, including:
- A conservative commitment to making private-sector health
insurance available to every American
- Lower taxes on savings and investment financed by higher
taxes on energy and pollution
- Federal policies to encourage larger families
- Major reductions in unskilled immigration
- A genuinely compassionate conservatism, including a conservative
campaign for prison reform and government action against the public health
disaster of obesity
- A new conservative environmentalism that promotes nuclear
power in place of coal and oil
- Higher ethical standards inside the conservative movement and
the Republican Party
- A renewed commitment to expand and rebuild the armed forces
of the United States—to crush terrorism—and get ready for the coming challenge
Frum’s previous bestselling books have earned accolades for
their courage and creativity from liberals and conservatives alike. Today, with
the conservative movement and the Republican Party facing their greatest danger
since Watergate, Frum has again stepped forward with new ideas to take
conservatism—and America—into a new century of greatness. Download and start listening now!