How unusual is it, really, in the history of all known human experience, to enjoy the blessing of living free? The answer may surprise you. In The Miracle of Freedom, Chris and Ted Stewart make a strong case that fewer than five percent of all people who have ever lived on the Earth have lived under conditions that we could consider free. So where did freedom come from, and how are we fortunate enough to experience it in our day? A deeper look at the human record, write the authors, reveals a series of critical events, obvious forks in the road leading to very different outcomes, that resulted in this extraordinary period in which we live.
They identify and discuss seven decisive tipping points:
- The defeat of the Assyrians in their quest to destroy the kingdom of Judah
- The victory of the Greeks over the Persians at Thermopylae and Salamis
- Roman Emperor Constantine's conversion to Christianity
- The defeat of the armies of Islam at Poitiers
- The failure of the Mongols in their effort to conquer Europe
- The discovery of the New World
- The Battle of Britain in World War II
The journey to freedom has been thousands of years long. Now that it has found its place in the world, the question for those of us who experience its benefits is simply this: Will we work to preserve the miracle of freedom that we enjoy today? Download and start listening now!