Combine the counterintuitive nature of Freakonomics with the fascinating medical tales of Oliver Sacks or Jerome Groopman and you’ll have Inheritance—the new book by award-winning geneticist and New York Times bestselling author Sharon Moalem that reveals how genetic breakthroughs are transforming our understanding of the world … and ourselves.
Conventional wisdom dictates that our genetic destiny is fixed at conception. But Inheritance shows us that the human genome is actually far more fluid, fascinating, and relevant then your ninth-grade high school biology teacher would have you believe. In this gene journey filled with authoritative, cutting-edge science based on immaculate research by one of the world’s leading authoritative voices on human genetics and health, Sharon Moalem, MD, PhD, we chart a riveting course destined to shatter all of our presuppositions about the fundamental nature of our genes.
Moalem deftly brings readers to the bedside table of some of his most complicated genetic patients, and it is through these cases that we learn:
- how a trauma can be genetically passed down through generations
- at what point during pregnancy shifted genes are passed along
- why a change in diet could alter genes and slow the aging process
- why some people are genetically born to be warriors and others worriers
- how insurance companies can use your genetic data to predict your (and therefore your childrens’) medical future, which can then impact the coverage decisions they make for you and your entire family, and so much more
Turning the nature/nurture debate completely on its head, Inheritance will dazzle readers as they learn how to apply this compendium of groundbreaking genetic research into their daily lives and take control of their genetic destiny in a way that their parents could only have dreamed of. Download and start listening now!