A unique collection of eyewitness accounts from some of the greatest diarists and journal writers of the last two centuries.
Experience first-hand the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in Italy, the discovery of the Victoria Falls, life in nineteenth century Rome, London and Manchester, colonial life in Jamaica and the search for the source of the White Nile.
Download and start listening now!
- William Hamilton's first-hand account of the eruption of Vesuvius from 1766,
- Charles Darwin's account of his arrival at Bahia Blanca from his journal of his voyage on the Beagle.
- Charles Dickens account of his travels in Italy, including getting hopelessly lost on his way to a dinner party in Rome,
- Dr. David Livingstone's account of his discovery of the Victoria falls,
- Henry Mayhew's journals of working class people in Victorian London,
- Lady Nugent's Jamaican Journal describing the crossing of the Rio Magno,
- Richard Burton's account of finding Lake Tanganyika,
- Jerome Caminada's account of his life as a Manchester detective.